006: Ten Movements
Ten quick ways to move / feel better.
Here are ten movement ideas.
Minimal (or no) equipment required.
Our culture views self-care as a “luxury”.
I disagree. We all only get one body.
Some assumptions :
- Humans have evolved to move
- Most of us sit in front of screens
- Mind and body are connected
Below are ten movement practices that work well for me.
- The cheap way to get a daily massage
- Roll the 'meat' of muscles (IT band, quads, lats, back, pecs)
- When you find tense areas, pause and breathe
- 5-10 easy circles (each direction) at every joint
- Move gently - should feel comfortable
- Mentally scan the body
- Foot roller best, lacrosse/golf balls ok
- Roll out arch, wherever feels good
- Great to do in the AM, before bed
- Active: Pull shoulder blades down your back, engage abs
- Passive: Relax shoulders, keep core engaged (don't arch)
- Vary wrist position, gradually increase duration
Warrior III (variation):
- Hips are squared to ground
- Micro-bend standing knee
- Hold ankle to add a quad-stretch (hard)
- Stagger the legs: Square hips, fold forward
- Actively lift front toes up (slowly)
- Hold onto a wall/chair for balance
- Back: Chest up, square hips, align front knee over ankle
- Side: In low 'horse stance', shift hips to each side - knees and ankles tracking in same direction
- Helps 'reset' and awaken the body
- Best combined with a good song 🎵
Relax your low back:
- Lay on ground, pull one/two knees into chest
- Slowly release low back towards the ground
- Make exhale slightly longer than the inhale
- Breathe slowly through nose (10-20x)
- Release face tension (mouth, forehead, eyes)
Do a minute of each and finish all in ~ten minutes, or pick 2-3 and keep it short. Everyone's body, space and movement preferences are unique. Adapt, as needed.
You may enjoy 👇